Home

Tortoises
Grann Kaz
Creole lady

Cultural heritage connects people to their history and creates bonds between the diverse communities, providing the basis for national integration, unity and prosperity.

The Seychelles Heritage Foundation welcomes you to its website. This website is the ideal platform to showcase and promote different aspects of Seychelles cultural heritage and to encourage Seychellois across the world to embrace and celebrate their culture. The site also offers information and news about the functions, mandate, programmes and activities of Seychelles Heritage Foundation.

We look forward to public participation and engagement through our website in the hope of developing greater interest towards the promotion and protection of our cultural heritage assets.

Benjamine Rose (Ms.)
Chief Executive Officer

Did you know?
On the 6th October of 1969, Mother Angele Morel passed away. She was the first mother superior, co-founder (with Father Maurice Roh 1896-1963) of the Ste. Elizabeth Convent. She was 89 years old. She was buried in the Beauvoir Cemetery at La Misere.
On the 28th July of 1929, the new St. Michel Archange church of Anse Aux Pins was blessed by Mgr Justin Gumy (1869-1941). It replaced the old one of 1874.
On the 12th March of 1959, the headless and armless body of an eighty-four year old woman, Jeanne Belle, nee Felicie was found in the woods of La Gogue, half a mile from her house. She had been reported missing on the 18th Feb. and a reward of Rs.200 had been offered for her recovery.
On 17th April of 1967, the Calypso arrived at Port Victoria. It was commanded by famous French pioneer of underwater exploration, Jacques Yves Cousteau (1910-19970. The Calypso which was basically a marine research station was fitted with various sophisticated equipments, such as one-man submarines for underwater filming, underwater scooters, troika camera sleds and an observation chamber equipped with television.
On the 4th August of 1968, the Bishop of Victoria, Olivier Maradan (1899-1975) blessed the statue of Virgin Mary which had been erected in the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, adjacent to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. The statue had been donated by the Meghee Family.
On the 11th April of 1933, the Mahe Prospecting Syndicate Limited was established in the Seychelles for the purpose of exploiting the guano deposits on outer islands. From 1901 to 1960, Seychelles exported 690,000 tons of guano.
On 2nd June of 1953, Governor Frederick Crawford (1906-1978) inaugurated the Queens Building (the actual Liberty House) to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elisabeth II. The building which now houses the Ministry of finance was, in the past the location of the secretariat, the governments Saving bank and the Audit Department. In 1962, Radio Seychelles occupied premises on the top floor.
On the 10th December of 1968, Capt. Archibald T.W. Webb, historian, archivist and museum curator died. He was 78 years old. In 1964, he wrote The story of Seychelles which remains a fundamental source of reference for students and writers of Seychelles history.